Sunday, November 17, 2019

Mindfulness, Intermittent Fasting, Speed Reading, Bulletproof, Bodybuilding...

The world is changing. So many things to consider, so much information, and yet how can I really know what to believe?

Over the last year I have taken an interest in mindfulness, intermittent fasting, speed reading, bulletproof coffee, bodybuilding, calorie counting, white wine, and a range of other things. And given most of them up. And picked them up again.

I've listened to podcasts, read books, read blogs, changed lifestyle, achieved results.... and yet, I still don't know what's real and what's not. Everyone seems to claim that what they say is backed by science, but when you really look into it, not much of it is very convincing science.

It comes back to appreciating the source, but more importantly appreciating the sauce. When it comes down to it, does it really mattter about the fundamental underlying science if the thing works for you? Mindfulness... Yep, another bullshit hipster term that means nothing to most people... but it's about appreciating everything. Drink a beer, and actually think about the flavours in there and appreciate every mouthful. Eat a meal and think about textures, flavours, combinations of every chunk of marinated plant and animal you consume. Sitting in a room, appreciate the colour of the paint on the wall, the bird in the tree outside the window. It makes a difference. Who cares if there's science or not to back it - you do it and you realise it actually changes you in a positive way. Appreciate the sauce.

Intermittent fasting... Can find a hundred reasons why it's amazing for you and a hundred counter arguments about why it's terrible. But I did it for 6 months and felt amazing. Brain felt more switched on, lost weight, became healthier, and never really felt like I was dieting. Wife did it and hated it. Works for me, so I think it's good... Again, who cares about the science.

Speed reading... Don't like it. Read in chunks instead of individual words. Use your finger to pace through. Try to see the words without reading them aloud in your mind. Lose the inner voice and just read... To be fair these techniques work, and I can read detailed stuff more quickly and take most of it in, so I do use it for studying and working. But when I'm reading fiction for fun, which I do every night before sleep, I actually like to read word by word, hearing the inner voice narrating the story. I'm reading Lord of the Flies at the moment, and I like hearing Piggy's fat, high pitched, British schoolboy voice in my mind as I read.

Bulletproof coffee! Is it consistent with intermittent fasting? Does it break your fast? Who cares. A slog of butter and some MCT oil blitzed with a coffee, against logic, tastes incredible and functions well as a breakfast substitute, leaving me feel like my brain is functioning at full capacity for the day without the lethargy or bloating that sometimes comes along with a big breakfast. (Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than bacon, eggs, avocado and tomato on a big slab of sourdough).

And finally, calorie counting, and using a phone app to count fat, protein and carbohydrate intake. I did it as part of an 8 week challege, and became a little obsessed with it. It may have health benefits, but it definitely has mental health side effects, and for me - I've decided I'm better off without it. So no more calorie counting (for now anyway).=

Where will this next bit of life take me??

www.headspace.com 
www.jimkwik.com
www.ashmullenfitness.com
www.bulletproof.com
www.thefast800.com

No comments:

Post a Comment